Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The seemingly-never-ending quest for a job.



Hello there ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages. This post is about me and my search for a job, or rather, the string of rejections that compose my, "job search". I left my job as a financial advisor in early December because as I may have mentioned before, it paid me absolutely nothing. Since that first week in December, I have been looking for a new job with very little luck. Granted, it has only been about a month and a half at this point of looking...but it's still a very large pain and quite humbling. Seriously, nothing makes you feel quite so useless as getting rejected from jobs more times than you can even keep count of. I send out a few apps a day, and so at this point I've truly lost track of a lot of them. The fun part is when I get e-mail rejections from jobs that I forgot I applied for (end sarcasm). That always brings me back down to earth, but motivates me to apply more too.

On another note, college is worth the money and effort. It is. I know this, you know this, we all know it, but I have to tell you - until you have a job and more importantly until you have $$$ to show for it...having a college degree doesn't really make you feel like anything is different about you. And in reality, it's not. But still, it'd be nice to get something for all that hard work wouldn't it? Someday.

Ok so I have 2 different hypotheses as to why I can't get a job. We'll start with the one that makes me seem less like a useless idiot for the sake of my self esteem.

1.) "The economy and job market are in a bad place" reason:
-This is true and all, but everybody thinks they're special and so that shouldn't apply to us. I was like that for awhile...until I forgot how many times I got shot down for a job I applied for. Now I realize I'm just like anybody else, and I'm not special or anything. Humbling, seriously. I could go on and on about the economy and this country but it's boring and too much to write. Simply put, our country really really really needs to get it's f-ing act together. This isn't news to anybody, but honestly when was the last time things were good in this country? I mean good as in unemployment rates and the state of the economy and financial markets and when we weren't sticking our hands in every other country's business constantly. Before 9/11/2001? Probably still a few more years before that even because we have to account for the tech bubble bursting and all that fun stuff.

2.) The "you really suck and are dumber than a fake leg" reason:
-Hopefully this isn't true, but I gotta tell ya...it sure feels like it sometimes.


So what's a guy to do?
NPH has the answer. Oh and italics won't turn off now, maybe I really am dumber than a fake leg. Anyway here's the answer, and here's what I do.


Thanks for reading my stupid stories and thoughts, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment